May Pose of the Month
POSE OF THE MONTH
Virabhadrasana II: warrior II pose
Virabhadra: fierce warrior, incarnation of Shiva
Asana: pose, posture, seat
As the season moves from Spring to Summer it is the perfect moment to stay strong and grounded like a warrior during the transition. That’s why the yoga pose of the month is Virabhadrasana II, warrior II pose.
This pose is the perfect posture to cultivate stamina and endurance while it releases tension. It allows you to maintain your focus, positive attitude, and makes you feel as powerful as a warrior during any time of transition in your life.
· Open your feet wide, facing the long edge of the mat and stretch the arms out shoulder height (ankles are generally below the wrists).
· Turn the front foot forward so that it is parallel to the long edge of the mat and the back foot stays parallel to the short edge of the mat. Align the front heel with the back heel or the arch of the back foot.
· Bend the front knee so that it is at a 90 degree angle, the middle of the knee is inline with the middle of the ankle, second and third tows. The shin is vertical.
· The back leg is straight and toned with the knee cap lifting and the foot pressing firmly into the ground.
· Lengthen the tailbone down and feel the belly lift.
· The hips are squared to the long edge of the mat and the shoulders are positioned over the hips
· Arms are shoulder height with the biceps facing up and the palms facing down.
· Drishti or gaze is over the front middle finger.
· Strengthens the ankles, thighs, legs, shoulders and arms
· Opens and stretches the hips, shoulders and chest
· Lengthens spine
· Stimulates abdominal organs and increases digestion
· Increases muscular strength and endurance
· Improves focus, willpower and concentration
· High blood pressure
· Neck problems (keep head and neck facing forward, not facing front arm)